The following is the listing of Shariah non-compliant Business Activities issued by the Shariah and Fatwa Supervisory Committee of Masryef Management House, acting in its capacity as the Shariah Adviser to microLEAP. This listing is subject to revision and update from time to time. The list serves as a guide to microLEAP as the P2P platform provider on the types of business activities that microLEAP should not make available under its Islamic P2P platform. This list is only applicable to businesses and not individuals.
- Tobacco and dangerous drugs
- Entertainment related companies – those proven to engage specifically in Shariah non-compliant activities, such as karaoke lounges serving alcohol, film production houses producing mainly illicit movies, cinemas that typically screen entertainment related movies.
- Pork and its by-products
- Food items that are prohibited under the teaching of Islam such as frogs, snakes, crocodiles
- Shariah non-compliant massage parlours that allow treatment from opposite gender
- Interest-based lending, including credit sales with interest charges
- Conventional insurance and unit trust agencies
- Hotel – in particular those that offer alcohol, non-halal foods or any other non-compliant activities
- Production and distribution of idols, statues, and materials and place for worshipping other than Allah.
- For restaurants, a halal certificate from JAKIM is preferred but not required, so long the restaurant do not offer Shariah non-compliant foods and drinks, such as pork and liquor
Anything outside the non-compliant list will generally fall within Shariah compliant activities.
microLEAP’s Shariah Advisors will have final say on what is considered Shariah on microLEAP’s platform.